Thursday, October 27, 2005

Little Moments

*Warning: Sappy post alert!*
It’s funny, they always say it’s the little moments that you miss the most. That always made sense to me. And I guess it’s been true in the past. But it has been in these last few days that I really realize just how true it is. Granted, I haven’t been gone that long. Just four days longer than everyone else. But it’s the knowing that I won’t see any of you until the middle of December, at the earliest, that gets me. Now don’t get me wrong. I love my cozy little home. I enjoy being able to spend time with Bob and Chance, Riley, and Emery. And it’s really nice not to trudge up and down all those hills everyday. It’s wonderful being able to walk across the living room and be ‘in class’ and not have to go down 2 flights of steps, Catherine’s path, into the Commons and down 2 more flights of stairs or over to the library.
It’s true, I’ve thought of things like Medieval Fest, Halloween, Winter Formal, and the Campion Christmas Party. But what I’d really like, is to sit in the computer lab talking while I’m supposed to be doing my homework or writing a paper. I’d like to walk to Coeli and stop and talk with every other person I meet. I’d like to run over to Carducci or Meghan’s room and ask what ‘virōs in agrīs adjuvābunt puerī’ means. I’d like to see the look on Ibid’s face when I say something completely off the wall, where he turns his head to the side, squints his eyes, and does something weird with his lips. I’d love to hear Jericho scream and then laugh and say “Duuuude!” after I’ve done a Gollum impression or something. Or have Quia barge into my room and grab something out of the fridge and yell thanks as she’s running out the door again, hair flying every which way. Or heard PQ say “I see, I see. Yup, yup. I see.” As he shoves his hands in his pockets, tucks his lips into his mouth, rocks back on his heels, and looks at his feet. I’d like to dance with Carducci, swing, waltz, Virginia Reel, whatever. Or see what can only be described as ‘the Peachy smile.’ Or see Ry when he gets frustrated about something and squinches up his face and starts stomping around like a small child. I’d like to see CO lean back in his chair with a triumphant smile on his face and say “BingO!!” when someone finally gets something they’ve been struggling with.
There are a thousand little things that I think of every day. Tonight Bob made cookies and it made me think of all those time Carducci and I made (or tried ) cookies at the apartment. That makes me think about the mustard, which makes me think about hot dogs, which makes me think about the 4th. From there I think about Chipotle’s, and well you get the picture. But cookies also make me think about all the baking that Jericho does (and how Quia eats it all!) That sets off a new chain. But I also think about making cookies at Katie’s house and that leads to a totally new memories. Each memories seems to have an infinite set of other memories attached. But I think that’s the joy of the memoritive power. In a cognitive sense y’all are here, with me. And moving from philosophy to theology, there’s the Mystical Body of Christ to think about.
Anyway, I’m doing fine. I’m getting into the swing of this “home schooling” and it’s going well. I’m not complaining, I think this was the best thing we could have done. I just wanted to let you all know that you are missed, greatly. I hope to see you all in January, but if – well, I love you guys.

5 comments:

  1. JMJ
    miss you too ma! lots n' lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. I'm gonna cry. That was great. Everything you describe was just what it was. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you too, WP!! I'm all sniffly now.

    Ren is here for medieval fest. She showed up in a light pink wig.

    You should try that sometime.

    I know how you feel: I felt the same way . . . over fall break. Pathetic, idn't it, but it shows how our class has grown together. No matter how far apart we are in miles, our hearts will always be close together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to worry about the Medieval Fest; it was a bit of a bomb. (In my opinion anyway)

    Besides, I think those things are mostly just constructions to get people together and having fun. Emphasis on the former. It's not so much what you do, but who you do it with. That may be cliche but it's true.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know mamma. We all love you too.

    ReplyDelete