Sunday, August 07, 2005

Cemeteries

I was just thinking. (Don't look so skeptical.) I was standing on the back porch of my Church just after mass this morning. I was looking over this cemetery that accompanies our chapel when I noticed the rectangular patch of young grass. I glanced up at the headstone and recognized the name of Peter Nagurney.

Peter was a staple of our parish before he went. He was our oldest parishioner (at 91 years old) And a very nice man. I remember how he had his license taken form him and the parish had to take turns driving him home.

Peter died just a few weeks before I got back from Christendom but I never really realized he was gone. Sure, we said the prayers for the dead for him after Liturgy every week but I never really noticed his absence...

Until now.
I guess it was just accepted that his time had was coming even before he left us.

Anyway, I just noticed that his headstone was a double. I didn't know that he was married. She must have died years ago before I moved to Virginia. It's amazing how quickly easily people can go. Someone everyone knows and loves can go without a great fuss and be missed very little. Peter was a staple of our parish, everyone knew him. But I never knew he was married. And when he was gone, nobody really missed him.

I'm not sure whether it’s because we're callous, or we recognized that it was Peter's time and that knowledge made it easy to let him go. Maybe the prayers said helped us to realize that he is God's now and that its out of our hands. I really don't know. But for now, I think I shall pay my respects to Peter Nagurney.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment