Friday, July 08, 2005

Sweet Country of New York

Well, it's been there and back again: A New Yorker's tale. So, I journeyed there and back from California. California requires alot of chilling. It's a good place to just discern a vocation and chill. I mean look at the palm tree: see how it neither toils nor spins, it 's just chilling. Why? 'Cause God wants to remind the world that it is important to just chill, and not fry. That palm tree just chills, looks good, and gets to look at God all day. It seems to say, "Dudes, look, you just gotta chill out, and enjoy this." It is a happy tree in a world of very unhappy people who can become so wrapped up in their troubles, they forget to chill out, relax, and trust God.

So, I stayed at the Norbertine Abbey of St. Michael's for a come-and-see. It was a very good place for discerning my vocation. The fraters (brothers) were awesome, and filled with a fire for Christ. We prayed the Liturgy of the hours, and between prayers we ate and worked hard to set up the summer camp for the boys. So I spent alot of time in prayer, and contemplation before the Blessed Sacrament. I know that God definitely called me to California to discern my vocation.

So on Sunday I bid farewell to the fraters, and to the abbot. Quia and her family came and picked me up. Then, I was a Peach on the Beach ;)! The Pacific Ocean is so beautiful and powerful! It was only a swimmer's beach, but it was so cool to me! I'd never been to an ocean before! I'm afraid the Atlantic will seem lame in comparison, but I'm not going to jump to any rash judgements yet! One other cool adventure was seeing the mission of San Gabriel, the work of St. Junipero Serra. California is founded on the mission system, it's a cool part of history.

I had a fine time in California. I can't say that I've ever had an experience quite like it. It's very beautiful, and very sunny, and warm. New York, however, as pretty and lovely as she is, treats me like a woman scorned, since it is damp, cold, rainy, and grey here today. This morning I was a shivering Peach at the waterpark, because I had to guard the gate in torrential rain, got chilled to the bone, and had to wade through a foot of water in the parking lot to get to the car (thankfully, it was on higher ground!). I was appreciative of the irony in weather however. I tried to blog bundled in blankets, but I just resigned myself to a feverish nap in the afternoon. Oh, well. Take care and God bless!

1 comment:

  1. JMJ *Just smiles* hey so those dude trees aren't so bad after all?;-);-)

    ReplyDelete