Friday, July 29, 2005

History being made?

It's over. It's finally over. Almost ninety years of bloodshed, betrayal and murder. . . ended with a word. Fitting, as it was begun by words. Perhaps now this land will see peace. Perhaps. . . well, we will see.

No ladies and gentlemen I have not lost the very few marbles I have left. It's just that yesterday, Sinn Fein, the Irish Republican Army, called upon all members to lay down their arms. All its members have been instructed to "assist the development of purely political and democratic programmes through exclusively peaceful means. Volunteers must not engage in any other activities whatsoever." Ulster hasn't been abandoned to England. But the IRA is no longer trying to drive out the English by force of arms. They're turning over the rifles (and the bombs that the later IRA has become infamous for) and returning to the ballot and the soapbox.

Well, at least that's what they say they're doing. They've made peace agreements before, and they have all been broken. But none have been so strongly stated. There is hope yet.


Also, for all of you who don't blog-hop much there is an interesting discussion going on at Quid-hoc-est about John Paul II's style of theology v. Benedict XVI's. Is Thomism on your radar? Are you interested in phenomenology and exestentialism? Then go take a look. Not into any of the above? Go take a look anyway, it will improve your mind. *grins*

And here is a little something interesting I found on Zenit while trying to find Cassidy's articles. The polls ask, "will Ireland be Catholic in 2030?" Dublin's Archbishop Diarmuid Martin responds.
They are just lecture notes, but they have some good points in them. Points that we all need to take to heart. (Actually points which you all have already taken to heart, so I'm guilty of preaching to the choir. Ah well.)

4 comments:

  1. Yea, I heard that on the news, but I was half dead from a migrane, so I didn't know if it was real or not. I'm glad it's true! (And that I'm not quite as crazy as I thought. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to watch the speach live (the advantages of working in front of a TV all day) as it was being spoken. At first, I wasn't sure what he was saying, trying to get through an obviously thick Irish accent. Then I realized it: He was speaking Gaelic, not English. He said the speach twice. He spoke it first in Gaelic, to show national pride, and then in English, so that we could understand. I have such hope that this will go well, and that peace will develop not just between Britain and Ireland, but also, more importantly, between Catholics and Protestants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at work all day as usual, so this is the first I've heard it. Sounds good. I hope it lasts.

    i saw the debate on Quid Hoc Estbut i was afraid to post anyhting lest I get corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:21 AM

    Time to try a more subtle approach?

    ReplyDelete