Friday, June 03, 2005

Vocations "R" Us!

Wow. That's still about all I'm saying. Earlier today I was coming back from yet another "I'm sorry, we don't need anymore help right now." I was racking my brains trying to think of somewhere in my town that would hire a poor starving college student. Now my town is a college town, so there are plenty of job opportunities, but when they hear I'm going to school in Virginia, that's it. (People really don't like it when you leave the state.) Also, I'd made a great fool of myself earlier that day on the phone with Sr. Theresa Marie (namely I hit the answer button, but didn't acutally say anything because I was mostly asleep & then after about10-15 seconds, hung up.) So I was driving home in a slightly grumpy mood. Then from my purse I hear Pachelbel's Canon in D. My first, rather perturbed, thought is "Why is Dominick calling me?" But then I was curious, "Why is Dominick calling me from Spain?" I pick up the phone (& have the presence of mind to answer this time!) to find it's not Dominick at all, but my rather spastic daughter. As soon as I'd said a cautious hello she began screaming, "HAVE YOU READ THE BLOG?!?!" This threw me, because I'd been up untill 4am (2am her time, the knob!) posting (& removing!) rather strange things on the blog. She got a very intelligent, "Huh?" "Like, in the last ten minutes! Have you read the blog?!" "Uh, I checked it this morning before my eye appointment, but it was just our crazy stuff, why?" (My eyes are going to be fine, by the way. I just need super stronger glasses.) "OH MY GOSH! Guess who's gonna be a priest?!" Really, confused now, believe you me & keep in mind I'm driving. "Um, I don't know." "GUESS!!!!" "Uh, Ry?" "HAHAHAHA!!! NO!!!! PEACHY!!!!!!!!" "WHAT?!?!?!" I'm really glad I was driving on a side street in SD, because anywhere else would probably have been fatal. Peach, I'm so happy for you! I know how exciting this stuff is! My SD friends got ahold of your post & freaked out. My mum read it & cried. (She thought it was really beautiful, not sad. :P) Have you considered being, oh say, a Dominican priest? :):):) That would be fun. We could go to Kenya.
Tonight at Mass, Fr. gave a splendid homily on devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. (Good time to point out that my parish is Sacred Heart!) Beings priestly ordinations had taken place for my diocese
earlier today, he spoke on how priests must have such a devotion so as to lead the rest of the flock. I'm murdering it horribly, but it was beautiful & it made me think of our little Peach & the waterworks finally hit me.
Although through all of this, I've come to the conclusion that my matchmaking skills leave much to be desired. Peachy would've made a fine son-in-law, but I guess not! :)

7 comments:

  1. WP..what am I going to do with you?.;-)*wink, wink;-)*

    ReplyDelete
  2. WP, how do you get Dominic from Spain, but get Quia instead! It's those transmogrifer devices, I warned y'all about! :)!
    I don't know if my vocation's to Kenya. I live in a missionary diocese you know. Ravenous packs of ex-nuns prowling everywhere, church raiders, and deacons of destruction! I could make a sweet RPG or 1st shooter (not really shooting) sort of game. We could call it One-Life! Fr. Goodman, and he has to clean up the diocese, fight the nuns, combat liturgical terrorists, etc. It could be exciting! Fr. Goodman calls on the cloistered sisters for backup against the ex-nun attack! Oh, yeah, this could go places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it...I've known it all along...WP and Peachy are out to make sure I enter a nunvent too! all this vocation stuff justs points to it;-);-);-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peach, you are hilarious! That'd make a great game. :P And I only thought it was Dominick, because that's his ring. But I guess it's Claire's ring, too! And he's in Spain (or maybe France) right now, so that's why I was uber confused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few things. First, I'm not sure, but I think the Archdiocease of Washington (that's my home) is a mission place too, since the pastor here (although he is being transferred) is from Ireland and was sent here as a missionary priest for Washington. USA is still a mission country. So technically you could be a missionary in your own backyard.
    Secondly, I would not be sure a 1st-person shooter against religious, no matter how hypocritical they are, would go over so well with the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, no, no! I don't mean shooting people. Remember Iron Monk and Grand Inquisitor! It be kinda like that ... I think we could have a level with Freemasons. Prelate Combat! You see the Freemasons come in after Fr. Goodman has driven the bad nuns out of the diocese with his preaching and anathema attacks...hmm...it would need work, but it has potential! No killing, however. I think we could add a game pack extension deal: ANATHEMA SIT!: Bishop expansion pack. Okay, It's way to late for Peach to be thinking, otherwise it gets weird. Did I ever tell anyone about the dream with Fr. O'Kielty manning the .50 caliber near the chapel against the Masons? It was rather inspiring. I think he was telling me to get a haircut, and another ammunition belt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quia, you're paranoid. Right, but paranoid.

    ReplyDelete