Thursday, June 16, 2005

And I said to myself... what a wonderful world

And what a wonderful world it is. Boy, if I were an aetheist, I think I would shoot myself right now. Man v. the elements, four hundred million to one against. But, I'm not an aetheist, therefore, la vita es bella! Because, let's face it, no matter how dark and stormy everything gets, as long as God loves you (and like it or lump it, He always will) life couldn't possibly better be. Oh, sure your life could be better, more in accord with His Will, but life in general. . . no way. Why this strange reflection? Well, things have gotten kind of strange out here. First there was my dad and his kidney stone. He's all right now (Thanks for all your prayers guys), but that was a little disturbing when it happened. Then, Brendan and I have started up a batch of orange wine that should be ready about this time next year. I got a taste of the mead that he started about a month and a half ago, and it is already extremely tasty. You know you come from a weird family when your thirteen year old brother knows more about wine than you do. That was last week.
Today was really crazy. Worked for about an hour with Ellen on my Irish dance steps in the early afternoon. . . Jenne, I don't care how much endurance you have, by the time the summer is over Claire and I are going to dance you and KC into your dotage. Then I headed out to work. I finally started working my steady job today, at a pub in Arlington called Molly Malone's. It's a great place, and the guy who trained me today was absolutely amazing. He was the kind of guy who always had a good word for everybody he spoke with, energetic, thoughtful and really principled. He spent the whole time not only dealing with all his customers, but also showing me all the ropes and giving me all kinds of great tips, which God willing I will remember tomorrow. But, oh my word, I had no idea just how draining waiting tables was (if you want to do it properly.) You have to be "on", aware of everything that is going on around you sixty seconds a minute, sixty minutes an hour. It's like sitting in Doctor O'Donnel's class all day long! It doesn't help that there is always Irish music coming over the speakers, like the song of the Sirens calling to Odysseus, tempting you to let your mind wander for just a moment. . . See the stone set in your eye, see the thorn twist in your side. . . Dang, it's going to be a fun job if it doesn't kill me! But life couldn't just give me a good day with a good man. So about a quarter of the way through my shift Alannah comes in looking for my mom. My sister had just been bitten by a copperhead, and was in the hospital. (She should be all right, but if you guys could pray for her that would be great.) So now here I am, at twelve forty in the morning absolutely wiped, hanging on for dear life, praying for my sister and wondering what tommorow is going to bring. Ah, well. . . Carpe diem ad (enim?) majorem Dei gloriam (Seize the day for the greater glory of God) & Go mbeannaí Dia thú (God bless you all) Augh, need to say something in Portugese too. . . dagnabbit Matt. . . oh, wait a minute. . . Falto a todos vocês tanto. Por favor reze por mim e rezarei por você (I miss you all so much. Please pray for me and I will pray for you) Till next time, I remain yours in Christ;
Captain Oblivious

6 comments:

  1. Your sister is in my family's prayers...I hope she gets well fast. Which sister is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH!! Yes! Prayers! Lots of them! Oh, I hope she gets better super quick. Oh, Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so lets recap the jobs of the people:
    Sean is working at an Irish Pub, I'm working as a technical assistant at UMD two days a week, Andrew is working as a LIfeguard of the young, Jenne is working as a spiritual writer, Peachy is working as a mystic, Claire is, well, I don't know, and everyone else I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire is a barbequer. Oh great tamer of the chicken. :P And Sydney's putting in long days at Culver's. Caducci is making everyone's favorite sandwichs at Subway. Ryan's doing that whatever he does for $10 an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my prayers as always. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Mairead. She's back from the hospital, and seems to be doing all right, but it's got to be hard for her, being as she's only 11. Thanks so much guys.

    ReplyDelete