Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Time For Philosophy with Phantom: Contemplating slightly lower things

Peach is not alone in his philisophical mussings. Although I will be the first to say, mine are of a slightly more random variety. The other day I was mowing the lawn, when the age old thought struck me. Why? The obvious answer would be because my mom told me to. But that's not what I was wondering. Why cut the grass at all. Otherwise the neighbors would complain & our house would become the eyesore of the neighborhood. Yes, this is all true, but why? What is it about a mowed lawn that appeals to the human eye? Who first thought to cut grass around their house? We know from Chesterton that cavemen drew raindeer on their cave walls, but did they mow their lawn? Did they have a lawn? Is the esthetically pleasingness of cut grass a fundamental truth? Is it something that just is? Do people in the bush in Africa or the rice patties of Indochina want a strip of cut grass in front of their houses? Or is it just a Western thing? Is there something civilized in the symetry and order of a mowed lawn over the disorder of one left to its own druthers? Or is this another attempt of Western society to move from the natural to the artificial? Don't get me wrong, I like a nicely mowed lawn & don't have a problem with mowing it, I'm just curious.

In other news, my cousin Samuel (the one I had a picture of on my door) got baptized today, well yesterday, now. It was pretty neat. The Mystical Body of Christ has another member. I got to see a bunch of my family. I got into a fairly long conversation my aunt about the US being considered a missionary country, among other things. My aunt is, um, on the liberal side, to put it nicely. She's a lovely person & I enjoy talking with her, but it's sometimes hard to get used to hearing PC language. Anyway, she said she thought the US was a missionary country because we focus so much on doing instead of being. That struck me. As a culture (quick Fr. Mastreoni quiz, what's the root of the word culture?) we focus so much on what a person does not who the person is. This reminded me of something that was said on the get-Peach-to-a-chiropractor/Cracker-Barrel/battle-field trip. We were at the battle field & saw a small statue/ monument thing for some guy we'd never heard of. It must have been Peach (for some reason I think it was Ibid, but he wasn't there!) who said, "(Person's name), what'd he do to get a statue?" Captian Oblivious responded with, "He was a man, that's more than enough." That's stayed with me ever since. We focus so much on who did what great thing, & don't get me wrong, doing great things is, well, great. But as Bl. Mother Teresa put it, "To show great love for God & our neighbor we need not do great things. It is how much we put in the doing, that makes our offering something beautiful for God." When a person's worth is measured only by what they can do, it's no wonder people like Terri Schivo and countless babies lives' are endagered.

3 comments:

  1. Jenne, I didn't go on the Fix Peachy's Back trip. I wasn't notified about it, so I had to spend the entire day doing other things, like homework and sitting in front of the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, even little things, like mowing a lawn, can inspire someone. In fact, one of your neighbors, just by looking at your lovely lawn, may be reminded of the beauty of God's creation of everyone of us. (I like a fresh cut lawn too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I wonder if my dad ever thinks of these sort of things when he mows the lawn... I mean he's out there ALL the TIME!!! I thought maybe he just liked the power of a riding mower, but could it be that he wonders about such in depth things as WHY?! I doubt it, but it'd be pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete